A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

the obligatory posting about cellphones

I don't go a week without posting perhaps multiple times about cellphones. I'm a mobile phone junkie. (If/when I ever get brain cancer, the news will appear first, but those of you who've known me for a really long time know goddamn right well that the primary risk factor that lit the fuse on the cancer just might not be radio waves.)

But I am on vacation. And aptly, in the location where I am at: there is zero cellphone coverage. I would have to walk 1km from here to see even a hint of a signal. No TDMA (yes, some antique technology is still used here) and no GSM. In the center of the nearest town both phones show full bars. But just a few KM away - the tropical foliage does a kick-ass job of attenuating the signal, so both gadgets are useless here.

How am I posting? Hotel has wifi. How they connect to the internet, I don't give a damn. I can even phone from here, my room with no phone, using skype. The local internet mafia appears to have given up (at least for now) on harassing us rebels who use internet to send our overly-self-important (yes, at times but this should come as no surprise to frequent readers...) verbal opinions across international borders at dirt-cheap rates.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home