A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

sayings that turned out to be true / the reach of USA TV in the 70's

"The best way to get over someone is to get under someone."
- I always thought that that was bullshit. I still think it's bullshit if it's just a fuck. However, if good conversation goes along with it, it can be absolutely cathartic.

(Yes, P in Valencia, the ice-cold gringo said cathartic. Can you fucking believe it? I am surprised too.)

Then I was reminded of some cultural stuff by that same, um, I don't even know how to put it. I'd say angel sent by god but I'm not christian and don't speak with a Brazilian accent. (Because "angel from god" translated into Spanish sounds terribly like those silly Pare de Sufrir folks. And when those folks speak Spanish, they sound terribly Brazilian because well, um... they are!)

I didn't know that live American television made it this far south in the late 70's. But oh man, we had some memories of 70's TV in common and laughed like hell. Maybe they were not "specifically" shared - i.e. the event we laughed like hell about as adults actually happened in 1977. I'm pretty certain at age 7 I would not have understood this, nor would (or should, holy shit!) either of my parents explained it to me.

Actually my new friend (this is not "friend" in the American sense either) remembered it a little incorrectly but I too had to THINK and THINK and THINK before I said, "Ah, fuck it," and did a google search. Sure enough, Wikipedia had the answer.

I will quote directly from there. Go to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Newlywed_Game
(subject to change) and search for the word "butt."

(Yes, for those that are perceptive we are/were two gay men that had just done that thing that makes Jesus cry. Or whatever you want to call it. If you're not perceptive, please re-read the last word of the last paragraph and then this one. If you still don't get it at this point maybe you really should start considering this question: "Am I really that dumb?" I know, it's a tough one. But you have to admit the problem before you can start to fix it.)

"The Newlywed Game was the subject of an urban legend for many years. The story, which had several variations, had Bob Eubanks asking a contestant, "Where is the weirdest place where you have ever made whoopee?" in one episode. The contestant supposedly responded, "In the butt." Eubanks denied the incident for a long time.[2]

It turned out that the incident in question happened in a 1977 episode where Eubanks asked a wife named Olga where the weirdest place that she and her husband Hank had the urge to "make whoopee" was. After drawing a blank, and prodded by Eubanks to give an answer, the wife responded, "In the ass" (with "ass" bleeped out). As everyone in the studio laughed uproariously, Eubanks clarified the question, asking for the weirdest location.

Eubanks reluctantly presented the clip on a 2002 NBC special, The Most Outrageous Game Show Moments, which he co-hosted. The clip also appeared (uncensored) in the 2002 film Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, about the life of producer Barris.

Hank's original, more pedestrian answer that Olga couldn't match was... "in the car", one that had drawn laughter and applause during the husbands-only segment. (Eubanks: "I'm going to take the side streets hereafter." )

During the same season, Eubanks asked another set of couples what their least favorite place to make love was. One wife quickly said, "Probably I would say the ass" (with that word bleeped out.) causing her husband to groan and sink in his seat. That episode was seen on the "Nutty Newlyweds" retrospective on Game Show Network in 2002.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home