A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

wi-fi in the car / iPhone

I've had a Sprint EV-DO device for awhile now. I'd been in the habit of bringing the EV-DO unit along with a Cradlepoint-brand router (the USB connection) to my client's office. That way I'm on a totally separate connection, totally separate channels, different encryption - i.e. within reason I can look at pretty much whatever on the web without worrying OMFG did that just get monitored?

On a recent trip to San Diego I stopped at a truck stop. Amongst the crap on the shelves they have some interesting stuff - namely a magnet-mount 1,900 MHz antenna compatible with this EV-DO device through the right adapter. The EV-DO device has an external antenna port and plugs in to the antenna.

WOW.

I could have replaced the DC power supply with a cigarette lighter adapter but I have an inverter for low-wattage devices. It'll run a laptop power supply plus the original power supply for the router.

Only in REALLY remote areas is there no coverage. Driving around Phoenix - voila, WiFi. Doesn't matter that my iPhone only gets EDGE speeds through the T-mobile network, it's getting wifi through Sprint.

Oh, and from the time I had the iPhone out of the box until it was activated and unlocked - ten minutes until I had that deathstar SIM popped out of there, the hack executed and up and running on T-mobile.

The iPhone has one other major shortcoming. Ok, it's a music device. Why the f*ck does it not have A2DP bluetooth capabilities? (In english, that's bluetooth stereo.) Insane.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

great. the unlock process takes exactly 3 minutes with the ziphone gui based jailbreak. The first time I did this in October, it took a good 30 minutes with a few crossed fingers added for good measure. In fact, even Cnets been plugging the ziphone hack.

About the bluetooth audio profile, the new iphone 2 thats rumoured to hit the matket in 3 to 4 months time is supposed to support it. That and GPS, handwriting recognition, 3G, etc etc.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home