A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Less is more, or the American courts

Tomorrow I have to go give a victim impact statement regarding my ex in his criminal case. I don't like to have to do it - it's like having a tooth pulled for example -

but I will say my piece. He's attempted intimidation this week, the usual crap a dumb wannabe lawyer would tell his high-priced mommy-is-paying-for-my-laywer stuff. I will not edit one bit of what I have to say but I'll take more time to make sure I have facts that back it all up. It's going to come at the civil trial where I can be cross-examined about it.

Another very dear friend has to be at a deposition of sorts. She need not speak I don't think. Unfortunately I also have spoken with her adversary in the same case this evening.

I have advised both - and will take the advice for myself - that less said is more. The less said, the best thought through with the least extraneous detail - the more impact.

These are all situations where conflict de-escalation is highly unlikely. I won't rule it out but every word must be carefully chosen for the cross examination.

I am satisfied that all three of us are quite ready.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck my friend!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home