A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Friday, March 21, 2008

no esta nadie por ningun lado

Easter weekend sees montevideo pretty empty. I want to take the bus east tomorrow but going back thru tres cruces on Sunday night would be nasty. I don't know.

Lunch was an excellent experience. Don Trigo has a location at Plaza Matriz and I had a typical Uruguayan meal: everything on the menu is essentially a la carte. I got a portion of pulpon (prime rib) and a chorizo. For a "guarnacion" I was adventurous and went with some mashed boniatos. The meat was good, the sweet potatoes pretty tasteless. Agua con gas.

It was fun to watch the few people milling around. A very few Uruguayans were left - the employees, the street kids, the dogs... a grandfather with two grandchildren who were happily spreading ice cream all over one another in the 27-degree heat.

Everyone around me was a tourist, they had to be. The locals? Se fueron. They left.

It was very peaceful.

Monday the business year starts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home