A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

the WRONG time to join a gym (but it was a good idea anyway)

Ok, so I need to do lots of cardio each week. The buzz from a good workout lasts into the next day and OH BOY do I need that.

Of course - what's wrong with being at a gym every night - the TV's that face the cardio machines. I.E. it's all politics all the time.

I can't believe how far the right wing's standards have fallen. Ok, we're going to put a woman on the ticket. No matter her fifteen-year-old daughter is knocked-up and her eighteen year old son's scheduled for a shotgun wedding. UNREAL.

McSame's campaign then proceeds to insult the nation's intelligence with that B.S. demand for an apology about a lipstick on a pig metaphor. In reality polls show that most every sighted heterosexual male watching her speech at the convention was thinking "I could hit that."

(For those [few] readers who are still hung up on the lipstick on a pig thing -
(a) just stop reading and
(b) 'hit that' is not about domestic violence - ask a non-home-schooled 15 year old if you've never heard the term)

A friend commented to me that this election has to be extra-confusing for Mormons. From their point of view: On the one side you have a black man (apologies to Seinfeld) - not that there's anything wrong with that (since 1978 that is). On the other side you have a woman with a family who is *away* from her family most of the time and not currently pregnant (although she could be). Incredible. Which to choose?!

On the flip side of it - hell, by default I'll vote for Obama. Hillary Clinton just is too toxic to be on the democrat ticket - just too unpopular. But I'm not thrilled about Joe Biden either - he's been in Washington since 1973.

So both sides have a big dose of "more of the same" and someone really new to the whole scene. Both sides are promising the same bullshit I've heard during every presidential election in my adult life - we're finally going to fix healthcare, we're finally going to fix social security, it goes on and on.

Meanwhile, it's government by and for the corporation. I'll go through the motions and vote but I really don't believe either side will change much of anything. It's not in the best interest of the lobbyists.

For *sure* I'll be making more use of my smartphone and slingbox to avoid the "news" channels until after yet another "no good choice" US presidential election is finally over.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're Getting very Political (and Spiritual) :-)

 
At 2:34 PM , Blogger tekno-yanqui-598 said...

One cannot help but become political during an election year. Indeed it is impossible to avoid.

However, I don't believe that either candidate or any other elected candidate is really going to change anything. The two parties are hell-bent on being "right" (note that this is not in the political sense, just about wanting to be "correct") about everything. This means that issues that have been nothing but talk ever since 1988, 1992, etc.... such as health care, reform of the social security system, homelessness (which comes full circle to health care because homelessness is usually caused by mental illness or addiction or both).

I'm not interested in watching the debates. They consist of two smug candidates trading thinly veiled insults and being "right." A friend phoned me from another country last night - he clearly wanted to get my reaction to the debate as it unfolded. I refused to watch it. A few minutes into the conversation I saw my Slingbox light up. An Uruguayan friend watches US TV through it. Sure enough, he watched the debate and some number of hours of the commentary that followed. I had no interest in any of it.

I will say openly that I will vote for Obama but have not made my choice in other elections and questions. The State of Arizona prints a seemingly-very impartial voter guide. I have yet to read it since its twice the thickness of the average issue of The Economist! I will vote absentee which means I'll be able to sit at home, google the pros and cons of every issue and vote intelligently.

Much is afoot on the spiritual front. Every year since 2002 has seen some form of change, some new form of adversity - it can't help but change you. I am empowering myself to make that change for the better.

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger tekno-yanqui-598 said...

I didn't finish the thought in the second paragraph. The issues I identified will continue to be nothing but talk. Ten years from now I see nothing being done. It's more important in US politics to be "right" than ever solve problems.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home