A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Listening to the Scottsdale 5-0 on police radio

I live in the South part of Scottsdale, Arizona. It used to be the core of the town but now its sort of ghetto in spots. I make a point of listening to their radio system that's based nearest my home - it's the most interesting.

Facts that I've overheard:
Not carrying a drivers license? They will ask you enough questions to try to match you up against a database. And I don't just mean here in Arizona - it's nationwide. I don't know that I've heard 'em do any Canadian lookups but they get information at all hours of the days and nights from other states. Your height and weight are two numbers, then when your eye color matches that narrows the search, your name narrows the search, and eventually you exist or don't. If you don't exist they will do a social security number search. They do it intelligently though - it's impossible to tie that SSN to any identity because the results get flashed back to the mobile data terminal in the cruiser.

Pulling out of a bar? If there weren't undercover folks in the bar (or assuming the bartender didn't just rat you out because they for sure do - and should) your license plate number is VERY likely to get run, more so near closing time. ANY reason to pull you over comes back over the radio - you'll get stopped. If the report came from a bartender the police cruiser density on the street at any given time appears sufficient for them to track you. You will get pulled over, your car will be towed, you will go to jail etc.

I haven't quite figured out the scoring system that I hear. Occasionally the dispatcher will return a score of some sort about the person. Not sure if high score = safer and low score = haul 'em in.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home