A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

some things about Uruguay have not changed...

Some of my readers know the feeling. You buy the calling card online, get it emailed to you. Dial the number. Put in the code. You dial your friend's Movistar phone in Uruguay 01159894xxxxxx and

S I L E N C E

Like a full minute of silence. Sometimes you get disconnected after that point (and on some cards you get billed for the silence!!) and sometimes it (gasp) actually starts ringing!

It took three tries this morning to call a Movistar phone. I'd not had occasion to call anyone with an 094 phone in a couple years and it brought back memories of the exact same thing.

Telefonica, if you're listening, spend a few extra pesos on interconnects for calls into your network. With the cut of the price of the inbound minutes you receive, it'll pay for itself.

However, its very possible that Telefonica has an upgrade planned and the equipment was just slightly too large to enter the country as checked luggage. :)

It's a beautiful country with friendly people and I miss it a LOT though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home