A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

silent for nearly a month, wow

It's been a busy month. I fell off the face of the earth for a week. The plan was to visit my parents in Wisconsin but decided it would be less stressful to just stay home. It would not have been a vacation in the least.

The last couple of weeks have been an exercise in computer forensics. It's quite a story - one that cannot yet (or ever) be told. Suffice it to say that it is VERY true that a server should be behind a locked door!

My data card saw a lot of use during those exploits - when you're working with an undocumented network that you just really can't trust, it's great to walk in with your own network connection! I'm very impressed with the reliability of Sprint's high-speed service. And if you want to get it on the cheap, google the keyword SERO. I pay less than the quoted price for unlimited megabytes, put it that way.

I've been following the exploits of Casey Serin (iamfacingforeclosure.com). I think the guy is crazy. But his story definitely resonates with me. The sojourn in Uruguay left me very much in debt and things are just starting to turn around for the better. I'm not in debt to the extent that he is, not by a long shot! Karma is going to bite that guy hard I think.

The world of Web 2.0 just keeps getting crazier by the day. The employee turnover rate is breathtaking. To work where I do is a series of going-away parties. There are some interesting trade secrets - here's one in general: if you're going to start a wiki using the staff you have this quarter, do it with a big stock of "For Dummies" books to get the framework there.

It's been a very busy week though what with some big organizational and documentation projects and then shifting into crisis mode at the end of every day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home