A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mexican adventure

I decided to explore a little bit of Baja California today. Drove from Tijuana to Mexicali. It was kind of surprising how good the road was... as with most major roads in Mexico, there are two that generally go the same direction. One is a "federal" highway, usually not so well maintained, two lanes, rather narrow. Then there's the toll road.

Those are nice. Damn right well better be for USD$8 from TJ to Mexicali. But it was a controlled access highway in every respect and oh baby you could go like a bat out of hell. The trucks are largely on the free road so there isn't much traffic.

My GPS was freaking out, this duality of highways was very confusing for it. I'd loaded map data for Baja and I'm not sure if I did it quite right. There was a manual or something but I ignored it. The battery on my PC was almost dead so it was better to do it fast than do it right. But it was close enough... there are not a hell of a lot of directional cues on Mexican roads. It definitely DID NOT provide turn by turn directions but it was a great reality check.

I knew I needed to re-enter the USA in Mexicali. To go any further would be too far out of the way. Next point of entry was Nogales. In TJ the border crossing points are well labeled on the road signs. Not so much in Mexicali!! I stopped and asked for directions like four times and eventually got where I needed to go. The express border crossing paperwork I did a few weeks ago paid off. ZIP into the commuter lane (after FINDING it). One car in front of me.

From the time I pulled into the commuter lane on the south side of the border to being back in the USA - less than three minutes. I estimate the wait in the regular lanes was 40 minutes to an hour. So, realistically given the 12 hours I spent doing the pre-clearance paperwork to get the ID card etc.... I just need to cross 14 or 15 more times to re-coup the time spent ;)

The border patrol has gotten creative with the location of their checkpoints. Obviously, no checkpoints on Mexican Highway 2d (or "second" as my GPS pronounced it... gotta love technology) naturally. But there's a pretty well established one east of Yuma, AZ. Nope, they moved it 50 miles further along. They look to see if you look remotely American and do the usual pass of the working dog around the car. Off you go...

So now I need to actually read the manuals that came with that GPS so that I can load the maps onto an SD card instead of into the device's memory... and definitely figure out how I can get files that show all the exact locations of the speed cameras on the roads. Once you have the coordinates for all the speed cameras the unit will alert you if you're traveling too fast ;)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:12 AM , Blogger A-Philosophical said...

At least no-one harassed you on the border :')

You do not mention using a US passport, is it still possible to cross borders with a driver's license?

 
At 9:52 AM , Blogger tekno-yanqui-598 said...

Oh you mean crossing from San Diego to Tijuana? They barely gave me a 2nd look. No passport necessary, no questions, no nothin'.

As for going from Mexico to the USA... It's possible to use a drivers license but I sure wouldn't try it. First of all it only applies to land borders. Second of all, the drivers license is not proof of citizenship. Somewhere along the last few years it got perverted into a national ID card but it doesn't fulfill that function.

You need to have a drivers license AND an original/certified birth certificate on you if you don't have a passport. If you don't have the birth certificate because you sent it off to get a passport, your passport application receipt will suffice.

God help you if you just have a drivers license, you're going to be very much delayed and you better pray (if you're a republican) that the computers are all up, happy and connected. Democrats might not pray, a sense of outrage at the lack of inclusivity of the process is usually the norm.

I had my passport with me in my pocket... however my car has a government-issued "SENTRI" RFID tag (similar to those electronic toll collection things but smaller). That and another federal-issued photo ID card issued at the same time as the car tag - called SENTRI - was held up and read by a reader. I have a previous blog post describing the process of getting it.

Along the Canadian border when entering the USA they call that program "Nexus." Same thing - car has RFID tag, "trusted traveler" has RFID-embedded ID, just a different name.

It truly has nothing to do with the 1994 movie Star Trek "Generations" whose plot featured a nexus. THAT nexus has a lot of baggage in it. Gary Coleman's talent. Ronald Reagan's lucidity. And worse yet, the discount card for Monica Lewinsky's dry cleaner. (Contrary to reports it does not contain Dick Cheney's immortal soul - that got sold off during the 1973 oil crisis.)

But that's why I say commuter lane. The ordinary line to get from Mexicali to Calexico was probably 25 or 30 cars deep in each lane with a delay of an hour or more.

SENTRI lane? Damn near empty. Pull up to the readers in front of the customs agent's booth, a couple of beeping noises as each card got read, quick interview with the US officer who had everything from my travel habits, career choice, bank balance, home address on his screen and *boom* "Ok have a nice day." COULD he have asked for my passport? Oh yeah. The SENTRI card cross-references the passport number so what's the point.

Anyone who pulled up in the non-commuter lane at the same time as I found the border crossing was probably there for another hour.

Try to scam the system without being SENTRI registered and going into that special commuter lane? You get your car taken apart at secondary inspection and then sent back to Mexico to wait an hour!

SENTRI is not limited to US citizens. From my observation over half of SENTRI card registrants are Mexican.

Yeah, it cost money to get registered... but that three-minute border crossing in my car made it all worth it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home