A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Slingbox does Uruguay - I've created a monster

I know that when I lived in Uruguay, I'd have killed to watch five solid hours of American TV. But technology wasn't quite there yet, the slingbox had yet to be marketed and invented. I sure as heck didn't have the cash to afford what the bandwidth cost at either end.

Well we tried it from my friend Rodrigo's house, he's got a 1 meg download DSL connection there in MVD. That's pretty big, most users opt for 128 or 256.

In short - I created a monster. :) I'd no idea of his NBA addiction and giving the US version of ESPN to him was like giving crack to, well, anyone's kid. He was hooked.

Since arriving home I've walked in to find that my TV is watching sports in my absence. Or rather, my HD receiver is being remote controlled through the slingbox and is sending a 500kb/s stream south of the equator and rendering a quite-watchable picture on his computer. Naturally he already has his computer's video card using his TV as a display so he just moves the slingbox video window onto that part of the screen and its damn near EXACTLY like watching TV.

I'm having two more boxes installed tomorrow for him and another friend, then I have to worry about upgrading my DSL to support three simultaneous users. (Naturally I'm the 3rd - I watch TV from my cellphone and/or my office all the time!) Oh, and gotta get 2 more slingboxes off eBay...

The things we do for our friends... :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home