A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Mujica, Everywhere you want him to be



The name of the issuing bank is obscured and the number on the card is a dummy one, don't bother trying to use it :)

Before I left for Uruguay I had a little joke made up. The reactions that it got when I paid for things were usually pretty strong - 90% raucous laughter, 10% severe frown. Those that laughed asked questions and I told them it was just a good joke. The severe frown crowd did not say a word and I kept a poker face.

My Uruguayan friends enjoyed it even more than I did - my friend Ale and I were out at a "Mexican" food place in Pocitos. The ambience was almost authentic Mexican and the food was... well, not TOO freezer burned. It was equally authentic Mexican as Chinese food is in Uruguay. It was a good try I suppose. TGI Fridays in BsAs certainly isn't any better than this was.

But it shows that the economy is better for people to be able to spend money on things like that, I guess.

When we paid for the meal using Mujica-card the mozo (waiter) got about two meters away from the table and stopped in his tracks. As for Ale, she was screaming with laughter at that point. There was suddenly a group of employees gathered around it pointing and laughing. I was pointed out as the perpetrator and I smiled and waved. The cashier stared really hard at the machine to see if the transaction would actually go through (which of course it did). The mozo was still laughing when he brought it back for signature.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home