A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Friday, February 16, 2007

oops, be careful what you wish for when you say you want it ALL

OMFG I called Sky Mexico to pay my bill and I asked them what this roughly 30 dollar charge was on every bill that was somewhat larger than for the base package of programming which is like 23 dollars. They told me I'd been paying for the adult channels. I guess when I told the installer that I wanted the whole package, movies and all, he took me quite literally. He told me that all the extra programming would downgrade after the first month and I would explicitly (no pun intended) have to call in and ask for what dropped off to be put back. So I figured that after I'd seen it all for the first month I'd let it go back to just the base package since I had all the movie channels on DirecTV and the programming was about the same just w/o subtitles or dubbing.

I didn't know I was seeing it *all*. Why on earth would I look at one of those channels? And thus I never noticed... Not my bag, baby.

Then I was unemployed for the month of December and I downgraded the DirecTV package just to the base... And I miss having a movie as an option. I watch too much reality TV with cops and forensics and bodies and autopsies and I really don't need the visuals but I watch anyway.

But I looked hard at my Sky bill this month - it comes on screen, not on paper. I was like WTF is this? Canales a la carta? (A la carte channels - how discreet.) That and I missed BBC World and the 1/2 hour or so every day of NHK Tokyo thats in English, or Engrish as it were... so I wanted to put them back on. No, I'm not paying for NHK as a line item, its part of the big package with the movies... :)

It was like a 20 minute conversation, the woman had to put me on hold for every single question and I was trying not to crack up after I got the answer to what that line item was. What's this charge? Can you turn those adult channels off *now*? My name is misspelled on the account, can you correct that? Can I pay the balance with mastercard? Changing the misspelled name took the longest since the letters are pronounced totally differently in Spanish and it's not like I spell things every day.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home