A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Miami box

Last night I was distracted from studying by a couple of new magazines – last month’s issue of Wired as well as the June 13th issue of US News and World report. I don’t know how I did it but I kept my focus on studying the arcane binary math that you need to know to manually do IP subnets… But tonight after my test I will sit down and read both from cover to cover.

Wired is likely not available here at any price. If it was, it would likely be more than ten dollars. I know there are international versions of various US news magazines available at high prices in the kiosks on 18 de Julio, but these are the real deal.

From day one, I noticed a flood of US magazines on various people’s desks in my office. I figured people were buying them on overseas trips but then I asked my boss about it and he explained about Miami box. I knew Canadians went to great lengths to obtain US postal addresses, mostly to subscribe to satellite TV, but I didn’t know that the rest of the world does it too.

I was skeptical about the cost at first (still am, sort of) but I took the plunge and subscribed. Yesterday when the package showed up I saw my name, and the bill, and what looked like one copy of Wired magazine… the bill was for six bucks and I thought, free magazines, my ass… But on the way home I noticed the other one in the package and felt a little better about the price.

Still waiting for the first of my other magazines to show up, I’d subscribed to four. One of them is Maxim, it appeals to the misogynist in me, I don’t know why. The other is GQ, to get a reality check on what’s in style in the rest of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home