A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Incoming new toy - EV/DO wifi router from Cradlepoint



Oh boy, new toy en route. I need more bandwidth at home and I'm already paying for it through Sprint. This puppy allows me to share my Sierra Wireless 595U EV-DO device as a WIFI network. Going to be interesting to see what the upstream is on the connection. It'll also give me the flexibility - since it's battery powered - to take my wifi cloud with me on the road. (whoops, I guess this one is actually NOT battery powered now that a helpful comment got me to look more closely at the spec... but I can survive without that.)

T-Mobile has been so slow to roll out 3g and a wifi link to Sprint EV-DO will eke a little more functionality out of my smartphone.

It's also an interesting tech addition for going on sales calls - bring my own wifi with me provided I'm getting a strong EV-DO signal. What better way to promote your business than by broadcasting its name as an SSID in your client's office?

Unfortunately this device will not see any international travel, at least not to my most frequent destination - Uruguay*. There are no CDMA signals on the air compatible with either a PCS phone or an EV-DO device - GSM's 3G technology is technically CDMA but its on a different frequency speaking a different language.

*Well, if you want to split hairs the most frequent destination is Mexico but thats just a land crossing, no airport is involved. I won't spend the extra money each month for the international EV-DO roaming option because I just won't use it that much.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:42 AM , Blogger 3Gstore.com said...

actually, that pic you are showing is of the Cradlepoint CTR350 -> http://www.EVDOinfo.com/CTR350

The one with the built-in rechargeable battery is the Cradlepoint PHS300 -> http://www.EVDOinfo.com/PHS300

----------------------------------------
the EVDO Experts are at http://3GStore.com

 
At 11:20 AM , Blogger tekno-yanqui-598 said...

Hmm, I must've misunderstood as I was reading the specs of the two. Or rather, I saw the firmware update for the CTR-350 that allowed use of the ethernet port for LAN use and that solidly made my decision. I can plug important things like a Slingbox into that ethernet port. ;)

If it doesn't have a battery I don't care that much... portability for me means "near or in my car," it's just another device to hang off the inverter.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home