A former latin american exile writes about life..

Ok so I gave up a comfy boring life to go live in South America. Lots have suggested that I write about my experiences, so here it finally is.

Monday, April 16, 2007

h1-b visas revisited

I read an interesting article today about the subject - seems Indian companies are taking advantage of them with their US subsidiaries. Now this kind of usage I approve of - it's not in the best interest of an Indian company to have their employee emigrate, but it is in their best interest to have in-country representation. The article said that $60,000 might not be a high salary for what they do, but its 5 times more than they'd make in India.

This is absolutely true - when I lived in Uruguay I made the annual equivalent (post tax) of $9000 annually. The hypothetical Indian in the article's example would be at $12k. In the US it would be impossible to live on that, but there one can live reasonably comfortably if one goes native.

But I like this - they will come, help their company and economy be competitive in the world market - and then they will leave. Perfect. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home